School Counseling

Brandon Counseling Office
Direct Phone Line: 757-648-4461
757-366-4544 (fax)

Office Hours 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday
New Student Registration 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.


Counseling News

High School Academy Open House schedule

Online Academy Application
Deadline for applications is January 9, 2019!

‚ÄčMeet the Counseling Team

Guidance and Counseling Department Chair

Ms. L. Powell,

All students with last names beginning with A through CL;
Coordinator of 504 Plans

School Counselor

Ms. MacNeal-Rhudy

6th graders with last names beginning with CO through Z

School Counselor

Ms. Gilchrist-Bray

7th graders with last names beginning with CO through Z

School Counselor

Ms. Graman

8th graders with last names beginning with CO through Z

Office Associate

Ms. Palandro


Brandon Middle School Counseling Department Mission Statement

The mission of Brandon Middle School's Counseling Program, in partnership with faculty, staff, parents, guardians, and the community, will provide a data-driven, comprehensivfe, developmental program that addresses the academic, career, and personal/social needs of all students preparing them to be lifelong learners in a global community.


Course Information Documents

Mental Health Supports

Youth Mental Health First Aider Referral Resource Guide

An Overview to Virginia Beach City Public Schools' Guidance/Counseling Services

Secondary School Student Guide

Student Guide to Mental Health

Academy Application Information

Academy and Advanced Academic Programs

Online Application Process

Green Run Collegiate Information

Tech Center Information

How do students see their counselors?

Students may be referred to the counselor by parents, teachers, administrators or they may self-refer. Students can schedule an appointment by completing a request form in the counseling office.

How do I enroll a new student?

  • Please come to the Guidance and Counseling Office and bring the following documents:
  • Original or certified copy of the birth certificate
  • Social Security card
  • 2 current emergency contact phone numbers
  • Updated immunization record with proof of Tdap booster (required by the state of Virginia)
  • Withdrawal papers and grades from previous school
  • Previous school mailing address, phone number, and FAX number
  • Proof of residence (Title deed, mortgage booklet or statement, lease agreement/rental contract or current rent receipt, plus a recent utility bill (gas, electric, water only) or a deposit receipt for recent utility start up)
  • Custody documentation (if applicable)
  • Copy of current IEP/504 Plan (if applicable)

How do I withdraw my child?

Notify the Guidance and Counseling Office 757-648-4461 at least three days prior to the student's last day of attendance, if possible. This allows us to prepare all necessary paperwork for your child's enrollment into another school.

How do I expunge grades for high school credit courses?

The parent/legal guardian of a middle school student taking a high school credit-bearing course or courses, may request that the grade for such course or courses be purged from the student's transcript and that the student not earn high school credit for the course. The request must be presented for consideration no later than July 15th after the completion of the student's 8th grade year.

NOTE: In a sequential program, such as a foreign language, where one course must precede the next, students who choose to expunge the credit from a lower-level course after successfully complting the higher level(s) of the course, will not be permitted to do so without expunging all subsequent courses in that sequence.

Once the principal receives a request for the purging of such grade and credit, the student's permanent transcript will be altered so that the course, grade and credit are not reflected.

A student dropping a course pursuant to this subsection is still required to meet the prescribed graduation requirements set forth in School Board Policy 5-30 and School Board Regulation 5-30.1. Where a course has been dropped, a course fulfilling the graduation requirement must be successfully completed at the middle school or high school level.

Students who have a grade purged from their record, but who pass the related end-of-course SOL test, will not be required to retake the SOL test to earn verified credit if they successfully repeat the related course.

How can I help my child succeed in school?

  • Provide an appropriate study environment at home.
  • Establish fair and reasonable expectations.
  • Take time to listen to your child.
  • Maintain communication with teachers, counselors, and other school personnel.
  • Participate in school activities.
  • Help your child establish realistic career and educational goals.
  • Celebrate your child’s successes and recognize that mistakes or failures can be turned into positive experiences.